Image Courtesy of Colyn Thomas
Thompsons Seat. Situated between the Coade Stone and the Tamar it commands a fine view of the River. It is a Doric Pavil Ion, built in the 1760's and named after the Poet James Thompson. A quotation from his poem 'The Seasons' was inscribed on the wall. It began:"On either hand Like a long wintry forest, groves of masts shot up their spires; the bellying sheets between posessed the breezy void"The other side of this Pavil Ion originally looked out across Barn Pool to Miltons Temple and the Folly. However when the Blockhouse was refurbished in 1862 its roof was raised which obscured some of the view from this vantage point. On the lawn in front of the seat is a Wellingtonia Sec-U-Ciadendron Gi-Gan-Teum, planted from seed, brought to this country in 1853 from California and named after the Duke of Wellington, who died the previous year. The species is regarded as the worlds oldest and largest living organism.