Image Courtesy of Colyn Thomas
The Institute c1900- the original building was washed away during the storms of 1824. The next house built here had to have its chimneys extended due to the fact that during the South East gales, the sea washed down them and put the fires out. William Marks and his wife ran the place as a Tea house until about 1908. By 1912 the house was derelict and villagers decided it to be a good position upon which to build a hall which could be used as a centre for village activities. Lord Mr Edgcumbe donated the site and funds were raised locally to allow building to begin in 1913. The first World War interfered with construction and the building was not fully completed until 1921 some indication of the conditions experienced in the area during Easterly gales may be seen here in this graphic photograph
| Return | Next >> |