Image Courtesy of Colyn Thomas
Millbrook Parade - By public subscription, a cast iron horse trough was installed on the quay, to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne. On a pillar in the centre of the trough was mounted an oil lamp. Before the arrival of electricity in the Village, there wee 25/30 oil lamps in the streets of Millbrook, and each day a man was required to clean and fill them with oil. He was then employed to light them at dusk and extinguish them at 11.30pm. The Fountain was removed during the 1939-1945 war and in its place was built a static water tank to be used, if required, should enemy aircraft drop incendiary bombs on the Village. This tank was demolished at the cessation of hostilities, but the fountain was never replaced.
| <<Prev | Return | Next >> |