Image Courtesy of Colyn Thomas
View of the Lake, Southdown and Foss Brickworks The Southdown Brickworks were built around 1888 Mr Henry Bird was the Managing Director until 1914, when the Company amalgamated with others in the Southwest to form Western Counties Brick Co Ltd. In 1928 Westbrick Products took over and further bricks kilns were added. The works closed in 1942 when ammunition was stored in the kiln. It reopened briefly from 1946-1948, needless to say minus the ammunition. Again it reopened after 54 years in June 1954, only to cease trading in 1956. The buildings and stacks were demolished in 1972
| <<Prev | Return | Next >> |